Need a pair of radiation safety glasses for fluoroscopy?
Fluoroscopy and Radiation Safety
Safety glasses for fluoroscopy have lead in the lenses to attenuate, or absorb, the dangerous x-ray radiation that is emitted by these life-saving machines.
If you are a doctor working in fluoroscopy, it is very important that you wear radiation safety glasses. Radiation safety for fluoroscopy protects you from potentially debilitating health risks which are associated with a career’s worth of exposure to x-ray radiation from working in fluoroscopy.
If you are a heart specialist or another health professional working in fluoroscopy, you should know that early-onset cataracts has been associated with repeated use of a fluoroscope, even in patients with no family history of cataracts. The result can be the need for surgery and possibly even permanent damage to the eyes that could ultimately end a career in medicine.
If you’re wondering whether you should wear radiation safety glasses for fluoroscopy, here’s what you need to know:
- Radiation safety glasses reduce or eliminate your risk of developing cataracts from working with a fluoroscope by attenuating the x-ray radiation your eyes would otherwise be exposed to.
- Radiation safety for fluoroscopy is important because, even though fluoroscopes emit a small amount of radiation, x-ray radiation exposure is cumulative and can have long-term effects. This is even (or especially) true for doctors who, after decades of work without eyewear, have had no eye problems.
- Radiation safety glasses, or x-ray safety glasses, are available in a variety of frame types to ensure that you can get a pair that is comfortable and useful to you.
- Our radiation safety lenses are made of Schott SF-6 radiation safety glass, which offer 0.75mm Pb equivalency and the clearest glass on the market, totally free of defects and imperfections.
- We make prescription radiation safety glasses for fluoroscopy in our own in-house prescription optical lab. If you need prescription x-ray safety glasses, we can make them for you.
If you are working in fluoroscopy without radiation safety glasses, we urge you to consider radiation safety for fluoroscopy where your eyes are concerned.
Most doctors wear leaded gloves, aprons, thyroid collars, and other equipment during fluoroscope procedures. Additionally, personnel in the room not involved with the operation often stand behind leaded shields to protect themselves from radiation. Why shouldn’t you protect your eyes, arguably your most valuable sense and one of your most amazing organs?
Radiation safety for fluoroscopy is essential and something that should not be overlooked. If you have any questions about radiation safety, what you can do to protect yourself, or what we have to offer as far as eyewear, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below or give us a call. Thanks for reading, and stay safe!