Want some suggestions on laser safety and how to be responsible?
Guidelines to Follow for Laser Safety
Laser safety glasses are an important part of a safety system to complement a laser system. If you are working with a laser, you likely have a set of regulations to follow to ensure your safety and minimize the risk of injuries.
The best way to set up a safety system for your laser is to have a Laser Safety Officer, or LSO, on staff to write out the procedures and guidelines. If you do not have an LSO, however, then it’s up to you to make sure you are taking proper precautions to avoid a potentially catastrophic laser injury.
This post is not meant to serve as a list of regulations to follow to implement a laser safety system This is to give you some laser safety guidelines to follow which will help you make informed and responsible decisions about your laser safety system particularly where eyewear is concerned.
Here are some laser safety guidelines we feel are important for any new laser system operator to know:
- Always wear your laser safety glasses when in the presence of a laser that’s connected to a power source! It only takes an instant’s exposure to a laser beam without proper eyewear to cause permanent eye damage, even blindness.
- Make sure that you are showing the proper signs outside and within your laser area to ensure that any uninformed people do not accidentally enter a dangerous laser area without proper safety equipment.
- Follow all ANSI guidelines when operating a laser in the United States. The guidelines outlined in ANSi standards are there to protect you, and they will keep you safe.
- Don’t cut corners! Laser safety is not a matter to play with. The smallest mistake can lead to huge consequences.
- If you’re ever unsure about whether something is safe, find out for sure before moving on.
These laser safety guidelines are a good starting point for any laser safety program. We recommend that you focus on ensuring the proper personal protective equipment and laser barriers are in place before focusing on finer details.
If you are looking for more information on laser safety guidelines and how you can be safe, you can check out our Laser Safety Regulations post or contact us! We’d love to hear from you.
We hope these guidelines serve to better your laser safety program and ensure the health and safety of you and others at your facility. Thanks for reading, and stay safe!