Looking for laser safety for a fiber laser?
Safety Glasses for Fiber Optic Laser
New laser technology is constantly being released, and some of the latest innovations involve lasers whose beam is generated in an optic fiber, known as fiber lasers. Many call them fiber optic lasers, but this is a misnomer; though they use optical fibers, the laser systems are simply called fiber lasers.
If you’re looking for “fiber optic” laser safety glasses, you may be looking for laser safety glasses for fiber laser systems or safety glasses for working with fiber optic cable. If you’re working with fiber optic cable, you do not need laser safety glasses; standard safety glasses will work to protect your eyes from optic fibers and other hazards. Fiber laser systems, on the other hand, are another story.
If you’re looking for fiber optic laser safety glasses for a fiber laser system, here’s what you should know:
- Fiber laser systems can operate at a variety of wavelengths, so you’ll need to figure out the wavelength your system lases at before you can search for appropriate protection.
- Laser safety glasses for fiber laser systems work the same as those for other laser systems; you need protection at the laser’s wavelength, with appropriate optical density to attenuate the beam.
- Fiber lasers are just as dangerous to the eyes as standard lasers and should be respected accordingly.
- Proper laser safety attire must be worn in the area of a functional fiber laser, just as with a standard laser system.
- Optic lasers are efficient ways of creating a laser beam, and we can expect to see more of these types of lasers in the near future.
If you’re working with a fiber laser and are looking for fiber optic laser safety glasses, we have eyewear that will work for you.
If you have any questions about fiber laser systems, what kind of laser safety glasses you need, or how our protection works, give us a call or leave a comment below. Thanks for reading, and stay safe!